Saturday 14 May 2011

no place like home


now this Post has no relation to me being in Japan at the moment, anyway let me start.

Where ....From? is a question i'm often asked in Japan to which I reply IGIRISU- (england). Then there is the shock exclamation because people that haven't been to England think black people don't exist outside MTV and charity adverts. I'm sure people expect me to say AFRICA somewhere or even USA.

I digress , the blood in my veins is thanks to colonialism from a west African country named Nigeria.
Although I am Nigerian by blood, birth or whatever I don't feel very Nigerian. I often get the you don't look Nigerian comment- which is another story. I do look Nigerian as am Nigerian, this is what Nigerians look like.

If the BNP got into power in England which is very possible I'll be sent back HOME (Nigeria) f I go to Nigeria , I need a Visa, if I went back to Nigeria I would be called Oyinbo (white guy) immediately even though I am the same as any other Nigerian genetically speaking generally. Like sometimes I get the feeling that I don't belong anywhere. It annoys me when Nigerian say say I'm not Nigerian because I was raised and born in the UK. I hate that if I say I'm Nigerian there is a stigma attached and a shock reaction.

our name has been tainted by a minor percentage of our people BUT i hate the fact that negatively spreads at the speed of light.

At the end of day I'm a child of God placed on the earth.
Some people are scared of different things but I embrace it, i love the difference in people cultures and language, which is why I am on the other side of the world i guess.

Anyway my point is even though I know London is multi cultural bla bla,

there is no place in the world where I don't think I will feel like a foreigner even in my homeland.

1 comment:

  1. Completely understand and cosign this

    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should"

    ReplyDelete