Monday 23 May 2011

10yen is less than 10pence


Picture the scene. I am in Tesco, and i drop 10p and it falls and rolls towards the giant fruit baskets, i try to stop it but am unable to reach it in time, it is lost forever, a single tear escapes and makes a run for freedom down my cheek, no one is there to help me, the tesco store clerk sniggers and points behind my back, my money is lost forever.

Now same scene in japan, you have for arguments sake Ryu the shop worker , teenager he sees my situation, he pokes his head around the side of the fruit baskets, he moves them here and there he desperately searches for my 10 yen, i reassure him that there is no hope and that I can somehow live on without the 10yen, I smile politely and tell him 大丈夫 and I thank him. After searching for what seems like minutes Ryu reappears apologising for not finding the coin i dropped. I reassure him it's okay and I leave the shop 10yen poorer.

This is just a little testimony to the Japanese way of doing things. We do our best for you mentality.

Anyway the story doesn't end I 'm about to step into the car and I turn around and there I see Ryu running out of the store in my direction, he arrives where I am standing slightly out of breath and reveals a less than shiny 10yen piece.
I believe the yen is from his own personal stash of yen, but either way I am blown away

Wow I think Only in Japan would this happen.

2 comments:

  1. I will assume 大丈夫 is "it's alright" right? This was a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your assumption was right but my reply was late

    ReplyDelete