Sunday 19 June 2011

samurai spirit


I'm always asked why I started learning Japanese, it is the most asked question of me except for WHERE FROM? (where are you from?)
most people assume it's for the women and for most people that answer may be right, but not for me.

From young like most of us I was interested in the ways of the East, as a world so far way from anything I could experience in London, I mean China town probably is as close as I got to Far east culture in London and I'm sure it is not that good a representation. I\ve always been interested in The Wise Old Man from Kung-fu films, the shaolin monks and the Kouga Ninja.

One group trumped them all, these were the samurai. If I could be a samurai I would. The pride , the honour, the discipline, the armour the swords. It was and is a main factor to why I leaned over to the Japanese side. I don't know specifics who, what, when where why but I love Samurai.

Secret- i didn't come to learn Japanese I came to learn the way of the samurai, i ran to the hills but I couldn't find them

So anyway by chance my new flatmates, invite me to their friends bad called Shi Shin, samurai cafe and bar. not a second thought every other bar in Japan is called samurai this or Dragon that BUT this place was the one.

This guy Tomo and his friend restructured an old kimono shop into a time machine, when you step in the door you are transported to a restaurant from the edo jidai or maybe they just created a restaurant from the edo jidai. Either way it looks really authentic and I'm sure I said Kono toko ga suki ( i like this place) on at least ten occasions The cushions to accompany the lowered tables are embroidered with patterns of the times, the tables contain mini Japanese zen gardens. The armour of a samurai warrior along with replica katana( Tomo explained that a bar and swords don't mix well.)watches over the diners.

Long story short, i told them I'd do them a flyer so I took tons of photos the next day and will work on that soon thought of a business concept i may have to try out here :D

No comments:

Post a Comment