Tuesday 14 June 2011

Grave of the fireflies -火垂るの墓 Hotaru no Haka


I have a general disregard for insects bugs and all creepy crawlies, and I go about dealing with this disregard in a very non African way. slowly walking away scared in the opposite direction. I would easily be bullied out of my room by a spider smaller than my wrist watch leaving my mum or girlfriend or anybody to help me get rid of it. This is one way I feel like I fail as a man. (Hold that though it will be relevant in a minute)

Yesterday was a good day .Binboo na seikatsu. Life of a poor man. it always happens we overspend the first half of the month and then scrimp the second half. Cost of living in japan is quite high if everything is new and you want to do everything and you want to go out, but if you cook and do free things like go for walks with friends to riverside temples then you can save some money. Convenience store drinks and takoyaki can serve as lunch.

SO yesterday I went to a shrine based in the land between the Kamogawa river delta, it took like an hour to walk whilst talking and it was 28 degrees yesterday so water breaks were definitely needed. Was a really fun and FREE time entrance fee was non existent but I paid my fee in Mosquito bites which are troubling my ankles making them swell a little , I look like a girl with CANKLES, you know what cankles are right? well my ankles look like a girl with cankles ankles.

Ankles aside I look like me.

Now here is where the opening para becomes relevant, there are a few places in Kyoto where you can see fireflies HOTARA and you can see fireflies all over the world but because i loved the Studio Ghibli film grave of the fireflies and because Japan is so beautiful and because firefly season is just starting at about half 8 last night, the journey was made to a canal north Kyoto where the fireflies usually appear in abundance. there were only a few around but it was still fascinating to see . i ha vent seen fireflies since I was a young boy in the Cub scouts and I didn't care then. But I care now ( a bit) and i prayed that I could catch one and I did , It was a small thing to happen but it meant a lot to me and I was excited as a 26 year old man because I had a disco fly in my hands.(shrugs)

I'll be back in 2 weeks when I'm told there would be hundreds.

1 comment: