Sunday 5 June 2011

Robosquare



When it came time to make the decision as to what degree to study for I chose Computer Science, why because I liked robots and gadgets and all those things. There was a module in my degree which included AI Artificial intelligence, which I am very interested in but i did not choose it as my programming skills were non existent so I chose E-business which was a lot easier resulting in my final 2:1 (almost a 1st) degree.

Anyway the point of that introduction was to introduce you to a GEM that we found in the Fukuoka tower building, on the 2nd floor lived an army of miniature robots ranging from the cute Hello Kitty Robot which speaks to you in Japanese and AIBO the robot dog to the necessary robot that helped locate survivors after 9/11. The robot I wanted to buy would have left me living in a trash can like that guy in sesame street, so I bought a miniature Tamorobot which is attracted to light. Basically a glorified children's toy but i like it.

My inner geek turned up to Robosquare big smiles discussing in Japanese with the Otaku sales clerk on the best use I could get out of my own personal robot. My smile turned to a frown when I realised i would need to be able to program to make some of the larger robots do something more interesting than walk forward and turn right.
Damn the level of programming instruction at XXXX University that I attended. All is not lost I can write algorithms and then pay a programmer to write the code, The only language I'm interested in learning is 日本語

No comments:

Post a Comment