Tuesday 5 July 2011

what I thought about monkeys


I'm going to blame the racist abuse I received from a young age for the ignorance I am about to embrace you with.
I always generally thought that monkeys lived in Africa and that was that, I mean I know I've seen the Jungle book and the King of the swingers is a monkey but I think that being called a black Monkey and being told to go back to the zoo, to climb a tree and the millions of things the NF boys would say made me believe that monkeys were only in Africa. Does that make sense to you, don't care it's my excuse

I know there are places in Japan where monkeys will jump into hot springs with you but I just thought they were imported monkeys ,still to think that monkeys were an inhabitant of Japan didn't really register, until the other day when I was with my friend and they told me that the part of Kyoto they live in sometimes you can see monkeys, like monkey monkeys. I was shocked, i was confused but most of all I was excited. I mean the monkeys were wild and dangerous but I wanted to see Japanese Monkeys. Monkey magic, Monkey power

Turns out there is a little monkey park Arashiyama monkey park in Kyoto so to speak on top of a "mountain" and you can feed them from inside an enclosure costs about 100 yen (one pound ish) for some feed and they ll take the food from out of your hand through a caged fence. I've never fed monkeys before like that ( not to my recollection ) but it was so cool, especially the young ones which still looked cute and not scary, occasionally a monkey would switch on another monkey for some reason but who knows.let the monkeys fight aye ( heard that one before).There was a monkey that would tap the cage to get your attention and then stretch its hands for a nut or an apple or whatever you had. Such a human thing to do. They were fascinating to watch, I want a monkey but just a cute one, like baby size. Can we do this??? make it happen

One scary thing is that , you are told not to look at the monkeys in the eye. I had images in my head of a monkey having an Are you looking at me moment? I did not want to have a hungry monkey on my hands-I did not look any monkeys in the eye. these things no taller than my knee had me looking at the floor like I had been given a dirty African slap.

On leaving the monkeys started going ape (haha) and one jumped out of a tree right next to me. I got a little scared but maintained my composure ,remember everyone thinks I'm cool and I want that to remain that way

No comments:

Post a Comment