Thursday 4 April 2013

Never be late in the land of the rising sun


So in Japan you can't be late, being late  is a big problem. Common practise is to arrive earlier than expected, ten minutes early is on time 20 minutes early is early and if you really want to impress just be there from birth, just be there. Ask your Mum to give birth to you there

So my first appointment was at 5:19, I know very exact but these were the instructions. I'm not talking PM either this is AM.  To be first in line is a big deal and I didn't want to wait till midday because everybody would want a piece of the action and I think getting some one on one time is important. Anyway I couldn't sleep properly I had 3 dreams about being late and even woke up before my 4:30 alarm.

So I wake up but because my appointment is within walking distance I  faff about and end up leaving minutes late, throwing a sandwich in my mouth knowing that I have to move down the road in some semi-run looking marathon walk type movement down the quiet streets at dawn. Feeling like a fool.So meeting place is the beach I think it's the best place for a first meeting and I get there early - Brilliant.

I wait around for a minute and then I see what I've been waiting for the rising sun.
I've seen the sun rising before but I have never gone to see the sunrise it was something else. I could see the inspiration for the flag and for the name of my city and the alias for the country. My eyes were a better lens than the one mounted to my camera and the image in my mind is more vivid than any of the pictures I took.

Worth the wake up and worth the dash but I'm not doing it tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. I saw the sun come up at stonehenge once. It was cool. Hope you enjoyed the view

    ReplyDelete